Velico is seeking a high energy, creative and collaborative Controller to report to the CFO. The Controller will be responsible for all accounting and reporting activities, financial forecasting/modelling, and being involved in financings. Accounting responsibilities include: GL, accounts payable, billing (one BARDA invoice prepared monthly – mainly time and materials), payroll (via ADP), banking, cash and other reconciliations, preparing monthly financial statements, audit prep (getting us audit ready, including footnotes and other related activities), dealing with auditors, drafting MD&A, and other customary activities as appropriate. Forecasting/modelling activities include being a key member of the team preparing, modifying and maintaining the company’s business model. Financing activities include preparation of financing materials, analysis of transactions, and other requirements. The Controller also assists with certain HR, facilities, and logistics functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP, government accounting requirements and tax and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards.
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Prepare SEC-like annual financials including footnotes and MD&A.
- Prepare other financial reports as needed.
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget.
- Prepare financial analyses for contract negotiations and product investment decisions.
- Establish or upgrade short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Play a key role in the company’s budgeting and financial forecasting.
- Contribute to the company’s financing activities.
- Respond to ad hoc financial requests.
- Assist in managing shareholder relations and information.
- In coordination with the FrontlineODP Program Manager, manage aspects of project planning; prepare and maintain financial plans; and assist with preparation of U.S. government Earned Value Management (EVM) reporting.
- Assist with HR (hiring, on-boarding, benefits plans, equity plan, et al).
- Assist with facilities and logistical issues.
- Contract administration.
- Coordinate annual insurance policy renewal.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, CPA strongly preferred
- At least 10 years’ or more relevant experience
- Willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and perform day-to-day work while also stepping back to provide insight and recommendations
- Full cycle accounting and reporting handling GL, AP and payroll
- Ability to prepare financial reports, statements, footnotes and MD&A
- Ability to analyze financial data
- Ability to prepare budgets and projections in a complex forecasting environment
- Experience with Sage 50 (Peachtree) (or comparable system), MS Project
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Takes the initiative, does not need to be micro-managed
- Adept at balancing multiple priorities
- Strong work ethic
- Creative and innovative
- Good communication skills (oral and written)
- Commitment to achieving objectives
- Adaptive and flexible – comfortable in an environment that changes often
- Comfortable in an entrepreneurial company environment (especially life sciences)
- Experience with forecasting software (eg, Adaptive Insights or Budget Maestro) a plus
- Government contract reporting; Earn Value Management (EVM)
Salary commensurate with experience. Company offers: 3 weeks paid vacation, sick days, health, dental insurance, gym membership and lots of other perks!
Please send resumes to email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
Velico Medical is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.